We are very excited to bring up this topic this morning. So, personally, I have been wondering about this new system of mothers showing care to their wards or children by kissing them. I’m a very big fan of mental and emotional support, as well as guidance rather than violent reactions as methods of bringing up a child. However, this controversial issue of hugging the children so tight, pecking them on the cheek and even going to the extent of giving them lip to lip pecks or even kisses as witnessed in some extreme cases🤷🏼 is a thing we have to discuss. Mothers, What do you think is the best way? Do you agree with the system? How else do you show that you care if you don’t do these things or better still what substitution do you adopt instead of kisses. Well, we should weigh the advantages and disadvantages of this act. Let’s go with the advantage first.
1. It’s usually a very adorable sight when you see mothers or fathers and even siblings hug their babies in a bid to give them cute kisses. Don’t get me wrong, hugs are definitely very pleasant, I have got almost nothing against that. And OMG, the Sight of all that overflowing cuteness!
2. It gives the child or children, growing up, a sense of being wanted or being needed.
3. The child definitely feels loved. He or she, most of the time grow up quite confident, lovable and sane. You can literally see a reflection of that love in their daily living. All these points are actually true by societal research and survey. I could go and on but let’s consider the disadvantages too.
1. The child might grow up getting so used to such act that he or she might not know that it is sacred. Realistically, most parents that do this in a bid to shower their wards with love usually forget to also train them to know that it is not a general act. As a matter of fact, this act is in some cases being practiced even after the children are grown ups. But what do I know, that’s alright too.
2. In a world where there’s a lot of sexual assault, harassment, and abuse going on even within the family. Some relatives use this an excuse or a way through to sexually abuse (male and female, do not be surprised) those children as their minds are still very delicate and may feel it’s normal because he or she is my dad, my uncle or aunt, my whatever relative they are.
Now, generally, would you do that to your child whilst side by side, letting them know that you are the ONLY person permitted to handle them in such manner(even I have heard of incidents where mothers abuse their own children? It is just a perverted world, you don’t even know when you’re wrong or right. If the world wasn’t so messed up, it’d probably be meaningless right? It might be an issue in the family if the mother has more affection access to the child than the father has, especially when the father has no sexual attempts in mind.What methods would you rather adopt? Please do share your opinion and let’s learn together. Dada Iyanuloluwa, writing for Working Moms Africa.