A good mentor or coach is someone who
1. Leads by example.
2. Has seasoned experience in your field and willing to share skills, knowledge and expertise.
3. Has integrity.
4. Shares similar values.
5. Gives advice based on experience.
7. Has good contacts (a network).
8. Helps you learn what they didn’t teach in school – or the practical aspects of your career
9. Helps you navigate the politics and bureaucracy.
10. Desires to help others succeed.
11. Has positive experience.
12. Has a good reputation for developing others.
13. Has time and energy to devote to mentoring.
14. Has up-to-date knowledge.
15. Has a learning attitude.
16. Has demonstrated effective managerial/mentoring skills.
17. Creates opportunities and opens doors.
18. Knows your strengths and abilities.
19. Wants you to succeed.
20. Wants you to be independent.
21. Is a continuous learner.
22. Communicates hope and optimism.
23. Provides guidance and constructive feedback.
24. Is respected by colleagues and employees in the organization and the professional community
25. Sets and meets ongoing professional goals.
26. Values the opinions and initiative of others.
27. Motivates others by setting a good example.
What a Coach / Mentor Suppose to do :
1. Mentors listen.
2. Mentors guide.
3. Mentors are practical.
4. Mentors educate.
5. Mentors provide insight.
6. Mentors are accessible.
7. Mentors criticize constructively.
8. Mentors are supportive.
9. Mentors are specific.
10. Mentors care.
11. Mentors succeed.
12. Mentors are admirable